Sunday, August 10, 2008

Baby Chappell

We're asking for prayer today for Dan and Casey Chappell, one of the former youth pastors at FPBC in the death of their newborn, Asher Daniel. They had gone through their whole pregnancy being advised by doctors to abort because their baby was expected to have severe chromosomal and other health abnormalities including an omphalocele, but they instead refused and prayed for this little life and that God would use him to His glory.

You can read the full story on baby Asher, but beforewarned, you will need tissues! The faith of this couple in the face of incredibly difficult circumstances is amazing. We don't even know them that well, but have been following his updates through FPBC. It's never easy to understand why God chooses to bring home a loved one when we feel it's too early, whether the person has lived for years or just moments, but we trust in His sovereignty and the fullness of His love for us! As an expecting mom, I truly can't even imagine the pain that comes from losing a baby just moments after birth after carrying him for nine months. My heart hurts for this mother's intense loss, and there are no earthly words that can ease it. I just kept listening to this song over and over on the way to church this morning:

" I am not skilled to understand
What God has willed, what God has planned
I only know at His right hand
Stands one who is my Savior

Yes, living, dying, let me bring
My strength, my solace from this spring;
That He who lives to be my King
Once died to be my Savior

My Savior loves, My Savior lives
My Savior's always there for me
My God He was, my God He is
My God is always gonna be."

-My Savior My God

1 comment:

The Spears said...

I can not believe how the Lord works! I have been following your blog for a while now. I went to church and was taught Sunday School by Alisa's parents in Gaithersburg, Md. I too was pregnant this past spring. Last Saturday (at 7:04pm right before Asher was born) I gave birth to my son Carter at 22 weeks. He lived for 1 hour and 21 minutes. Today I was given Dan and Casey's email to contact them. Dan and I attend college together at the same time. I was overwhelmed to email you tonight to say how it is that Lord works. My husband and I spent a lot of time on our knews for your family back in Decemeber and Jan asking the Lord to heal your mom. In fact our Sunday School class was praying as well. Now as we suffer the greatest loss of our lives, we are being comforted that Lord knew this would happen and is faitful to comfort us during this time. Please know that we are praying for you and yoru husband and you continue to have a wonferful pregancy and welcome into your family your new baby girl.

A sister in Christ,
Jenna Spears