Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Grannie Camp: Family Legacies

We were really proud of Kenna's adventurous spirit during the whole trip, and especially how it didn't take her a second to warm up to Grannie and Pop Pop right away even though we don't get to see them nearly as often as we want! It's so precious to me to see my grandparents become great-grandparents and share in my children's lives. I'm so thankful the Lord has kept them healthy and strong, and blessed them with long years!

Sometime during this trip, I especially wanted to take Kenna to a smaller park closer to Grannie and Pop Pop's house, called McKay park. It is named after Grannie's father/my Mom's grandfather/my great-grandfather/Kenna's great-great-grandfather! He was instrumental in developing many of the family-centered (non-commercial or touristy) things to enjoy on Clearwater Beach, and Grannie has been instrumental in keeping them from being cut out of the city budget in favor of motels and parking garages over the many years. My Mom's side of the family is where Kenna gets her middle name McKay.




This park, and the pram sailboats available to sail in the bay (a small child-sized sailboat that I grew up learning to sail in) are his legacy... I'm sure he would be very pleased to know his great-great-granddaughter enjoyed them so much!

Kenna in a pram at the Sailing Center (they are so small, my cousins and brother and I literally grew out of them by the age of 13 or 14!):
And exploring the bigger Hobie Cat sailboats (the kind Papa likes to sail when he is in Clearwater!)

The same evening that all these photos were taken, we went back to Pier 60 for the craft show/festival (and playground!) since it had been chilly and not fully open the night before. I wanted to see a friend of mine named Suzanne who has been selling beautiful handmade jewelry on the beach for many years now. I helped her "man her booth" one summer for about two weeks, and credit her with much of my interest in doing craft shows and having a creative business! And it was fun to introduce her to Matt and Kenna!

And what is a night at the pier without a little ice cream to end the day? Kenna decided she needed to eat hers and mine too!

No comments: