Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Article and Thoughts

As Lindsey quickly approaches motherhood in our household, and with this day to celebrate mothers upon us, I'd like to share this article with you all. We've taken alot of flack over our decision to have Lindsey be a stay at home mom once our precious little one is born. It seems natural, even Biblical to do so, yet many don't understand. I was sent an article today written by a lady named Barabara Curtis (who has 12 children-3 of whom she adopted that have Down Syndrome) by a newsgroup I have subscribed to. I thought I'd share and say thank you to both of my Moms and the large amount of ladies in Lindsey and I's lives that have consistently tried to be "mom" to us by loving on us in the way that mothers see to know how. (Long article, but please read)

"The sun through the window was soothing, and the car was full of contentment. It had been a wonderful day and I was pleased with myself as a mother. Then from the back seat, I heard Zachary clear his throat, and in his deadpan four-year-old Eeyore voice ask, “Mom, when are you going to get a job?” “This is my job,” I said, somewhat amused and just a little edgy.
But homeward bound, as the kids fell asleep one by one and I was left alone with my thoughts, I began to see the beauty of Zach’s question: somehow – even though it could be hard work and even though I had my testy moments – my kids didn’t think of motherhood as a job.
And I decided that was a good thing – because it’s not really a job at all, but a calling. And callings just don’t look like jobs, because they require more of a person than a job requires.(emphasis added by Me) Which makes it hard for moms whose days are spent conquering mountains of laundry, creating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and kissing owies.
We live in a world where success is measured by progress – as recorded on report cards, sales reports, performance reviews, pay raises. And symbolized by ribbons, trophies, and merit badges. In our lifetimes, our husband and children will bring scores of these items home and make us proud. We’ll put them in scrapbooks, sew them on uniforms, frame and hang them up for all to see. But I don’t know of any special awards for teaching a child to tie her shoe or come to dinner when he’s called. No raises or praises when a mother drops everything to drive someone out for posterboard: “Your project’s due tomorrow? But it’s almost eight o’clock!”
Every day this goes on: everyday moms doing everyday things – sometimes struggling with feelings of inferiority or even worthlessness – just being obedient to their call.
But while motherhood can look easy – it’s certainly not rocket science, after all – the irony is this: while lots of important people in important places conduct lots of important business every day, the truly most important work in the whole world is really going on at home, where the CEO is mommy. And God is like an equal opportunity employer, giving every woman in the world – through birth and adoption – this wonderful, unequalled opportunity. guess if we got disgruntled enough from lack of appreciation, we could start a Mommy Power movement (the same seeds of discontent that began the feminist movement – only in a direction away from motherhood). We could have bumper stickers that say: If Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. We could sue people who put us down at parties and maybe even get a special mention as a protected minority not to be discriminated against. But that wouldn’t be very mommy-like, would it? Because there’s something about mommies that should be soft where others are hard, kind where others are cruel, patient where others can’t wait. We may not start out that way at all, but there’s absolutely nothing like motherhood to change anything about us that needs to be changed. At least, that’s how it’s been on my motherhood journey. I set out to make a home, to grow a family, and to help my children reach their potential. The most amazing thing is that while I was helping them reach theirs, God was helping me reach mine." Read the full article here.

Whew...long article, but thanks to those who read it!

I want to be a good Dad, but I know that as important as my job is as a Dad, (being a leader for my family and supporting Lindsey and our children emotionally, physically, spiritually, financially and probably a few other --"ally"s I can't think of off the top of my head), my job will pale in comparison to the role and responsibility of hers as a mother. To those that can work and maintain their motherly role(or must work in order to provide and live), I salute you. To those that are able and choose to stay at home I salute you too. I see the place of each, even though I can't think of too many mothers who would rather work than stay home with their babies if given the chance. Like the article above, I couldn't agre more that motherhood is not a job, but a calling. No "paid time off" there, unless you count kisses before nap time as a payment before a "vacation." I'm so excited that Lindsey was blessed with such a great mentor as a mother



and I'm proud to have been raised by a great mom too.



Thank you to all the mothers who read and it will be my prayer all day long that God will bless each of you for the sacrifices you've made, time you've taken, dreams you've set aside to raise us, and the joy you've imparted in raising up Godly children. Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Faye Creech said...

Happy (very late!) Mother's Day to the Mother-to-Be! We are so looking forward to seeing and holding little B! Take care - thanks so much for your prayers and calls. Please keep praying for all, esp those who heard the gospel presented at the service on Sunday and for comfort for Wanda & Craig & Gran & Brooke. Thanks again -
-F

Beth Anne said...

Your baby looks like a baby now on the spinny-thing!